Enliven your Easter with the Newport Art Festival
11 Feb 2016
The Newport Easter Art Festival will see an exciting range of art offerings and activities celebrating the culture of Newport over the Easter holiday weekend.
The event, coordinated by Council’s Enliven Pittwater program and supported by organisers of the Pittwater Artists Trail, will feature an art exhibition running from Good Friday through to Easter Monday at the Newport Community Centre with a series of events and activities for all ages throughout the day on Easter Saturday.
The art exhibition will feature the most recent prints and drawings, paintings, ceramics, textile and glass artworks, alongside a selection of hand crafted jewellery produced by the majority of renowned local artists who make up the popular Pittwater Artists Trail, including; Julie Hickson, Jacqui Giuliano, Elfriede Bartnitzky, Nada Herman, Robyn Park, Martin Wale, and Geoff Searl to name just a few. The exhibition will be open on Friday 25 March through to Monday 28 March.
Mayor Jacqueline Townsend said “…Visitors are encouraged to embrace the artistic and cultural possibilities of Newport, and come along and experience first-hand the Newport Community Centre transformed into a vibrant cultural and exhibition space”.
The Easter Saturday Festival Day will include a range of fun activities and events for all ages from 11am-3pm including:
• Ephemeral art workshop hosted by popular local artist Leonie Barton (followed by 3325 on Instagram) offering participants the opportunity to create art works from found objects in the natural environment, to be photographed and posted online. (10.30am-12.30pm) Bookings required – email email@example.com or call 9970 1171
• Intimate artisan market selling handcrafted/bespoke items
• Fabulous live music by local jazz duo The Blue Jays and classical string trio Ahava Ensemble
• Delicious food and coffee offerings from local business including handmade chocolate treats
• Easter Bike Parade and competition with great prizes for the best bike decoration. All ages are invited to decorate themselves and their bikes in a Newport Beach/Easter theme (arrive by 11am with judging at 12 noon).
• Easter craft & face painting for kids (12noon-2pm)
• Official Opening Event with Pittwater Mayor Jacqueline Townsend (1pm).
“I really encourage the community to take public transport or hop on their bike to attend this event - they could even be in the running for a prize in our Easter Bike Parade!” she added.
For workshop bookings and further event details please visit www.pittwater.nsw.gov.au/all_events or check out the Events section on the enliven app for more info. Don’t have the app? Download it – it’s FREE.