Public Access To Information
On 1 July 2010 new right to information legislation came into effect, replacing the former Freedom Of Information Act & Section 12 of the Local Government Act.
The new law:
- creates new rights to information that are designed to meet community expectations of more open and transparent government
- encourages government agencies to proactively release government information.
Access to information collected and held by Pittwater Council is made available in accordance with the provisions of the Government Information (Public Access ) Act 2009 (GIPA). The Act creates an enforceable right to information unless there is an overriding public interest against disclosure. For more information please download the following guide:
The GIPA Act provides for Council information to be released in four (4) ways:-
1. Mandatory Proactive Release (Open Access)
This information is made available on Council’s website and is available free of charge, e.g. Council policies, meeting agendas and minutes, media releases and annual reports etc
2. Proactive Release
Council is encouraged to make as much information of public interest as possible publicly available free of charge or at minimal cost. e.g. frequently requested information or information of public interest
3. Informal Release
Other information held is authorised to be released in response to an informal request, subject to any reasonable conditions that Council may wish to impose. e.g. requests for the personal information of the individual concerned but NOT another persons personal information. Written application forms are required for both Informal and Formal applications.
4. Formal Release
The release of all other information not made available by either mandatory, proactive or informal release can be made by way of a formal access application. Standard fees and charges and time frames are applicable for such applications. e.g. Personal information relating to a third party where consultation is required or where information is of a confidential nature. Written application forms are required for both Informal and Formal applications.
As required by Section 125 of the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 Council provides a summary of the information released.
- Fact sheets have been developed in relation to your rights to access Council information and your rights of appeal.
- Written application forms are required for both Informal and Formal applications.
- You can find out more about your right to information and new ways to access NSW government information on the Office of the Information Commissioner (OIC) website at www.oic.nsw.gov.au.
- Enquiries relating to your application may be directed to Ms Gabrielle Angles, Principal Administration Officer on 9970 1117 or Customer Service on 9970 1111.