Tips on Recycling and Reducing Waste
- Examine your waste to find out what you are throwing away
- Identify the materials, how much of each?
- What can be avoided, composted, re-used or recycled? This will give you an idea how to control the amount of unnecessary waste
- Review your purchases
- Once you have identified the problem materials in your bin, you may need to buy less of those materials or use something else that produces less waste
- Eliminate wastefulness
- Think about the things you do that create waste. Some inefficiencies may be obvious. Once you start to think about it you will find many ways to reduce waste at the source
- Reduce packaging and waste?
- Re-use containers?
- Recycle as much as you can?
- Compost food scraps and garden waste?
- Repair items instead of discarding them?
- Place a "No Advertising Material" sign on your letterbox? (Call 1800 676 136 for a free sticker)
- Take your own shopping bag, backpack, basket or box to carry groceries?
- Allow grass clippings to breakdown on your lawn providing nutrients and moisture?
- Utilise old prunings and use them as garden stakes?
Updated: 14 April 2011