The following access keys are available throughout the Pittwater Council site. "m" will take you to the main content, "n" will take you to the site navigation, "s" will take you to the site search form and "t" will take you to the top of the page.

Main Content

Dividing Fences

Dividing Fence

Generally fences can be constructed without Council approval as long as you comply with the requirements in SEPP (Exempt & Complying Development Codes) 2008. If you are unable to comply with the SEPP (Exempt & Complying Development Codes) 2008 you will be required to submit a Development Application to Council for consideration.

Properties that are identified as heritage, flood control or foreshore lots will require a Development Application and consideration by Council. You should refer to your locality in Council's Pittwater 21 Development Control Plan under "Fences" for specific requirements for fencing that may apply to your property.


The Dividing Fences Act outlines the responsibilities of neighbours in relation to dividing fences. If you require further assistance or mediation with this process you may:

Updated: 18 Jul 2016